One of the many enquiries made by individuals seeking vaping tips for beginners is about the most suitable nicotine level in a vape juice. Sadly, there’s no one answer to this question, as the best nicotine level will depend on individual preferences and many other factors.
In fact, smokers of traditional cigarettes rarely know the nicotine levels in each stick. Furthermore, a study revealed that nicotine content level in cigarettes varies from brand to brand. On the other hand, vapers have the advantage of knowing the nicotine levels in their selected e-juices. Fortunately, commercial e-liquids come in standard nicotine levels of 12mg, 18mg, and the most common levels of 3mg and 6mg. E-juices can also have zero nicotine, while others can be as much as 36mg.
E-liquid Nicotine Levels and Recommendations
Here are some rough estimates of the e-juice nicotine levels to opt for depending on your smoking or vaping experience.
- 12mg/mL nicotine content levels are ideal for new vapers who are transitioning from smoking at least 30 cigarettes daily (i.e. heavy smokers) or from smoking unfiltered cigarettes.
- 6mg/mL nicotine content levels are ideal for new vapers who are transitioning from smoking of around one to 30 cigarettes daily (i.e. light to moderate smokers), as well as smokers of so-called “light” cigarettes.
- 3mg/mL nicotine content levels are ideal for new vape users who are transitioning from smoking less than 10 cigarettes a day (i.e. light smokers). It is also perfect for vape users who want to reduce their nicotine intake or are consumers of e-liquids with high nicotine levels.
- Zero nicotine content levels are ideal for those who prefer to have a vaping experience without the effects of nicotine as well as those who just want to experience the flavours of their e-liquid. These are also ideal for vapers who have stepped down from consuming high nicotine levels.
Sub-Ohms and Nicotine Levels
When it comes to sub-ohm vaping devices, be reminded that more nicotine is consumed the more vapour volume is produced. This means that a sub-ohm vape, despite being a previously heavy cigarette smoker, can get that sweet throat hit quickly even with low nicotine levels. Thus, e-liquid nicotine content levels of 3mg/mL or 6mg/mL are ideal for those using sub-ohm devices.
Other Considerations for E-juice Nicotine Levels
Your personal preferences as well as the kind of vaping experience you want will generally affect your ultimate choice when it comes to nicotine levels in e-juices. These may require a bit of testing, but below are some factors that you can consider.
- Obtaining the same experience as cigarette smoking. For cigarette smokers transitioning to vaping, they may want to find the same ejuice nicotine level that gives them the same satisfaction when they were smoking cigarettes. Although you can start with the recommended nicotine levels mentioned earlier as a guide, there are heavy cigarette smokers who ultimately prefer vaping with low-nicotine e-liquids.
- Flavour satisfaction. Low nicotine levels allow vapers to enjoy the flavours of their e-liquids, unlike those with high levels which provide a harsher taste.
- Throat hit experience. Those who want a smoother nicotine throat hit should opt for lower nicotine levels since a higher level gives a harsher hit, which is preferred by many heavy cigarette smokers.
- Usage frequency and/or duration. Those who vape sparingly throughout the day can opt for e-juices with high nicotine content, as they can quickly achieve the throat hit. On the other hand, vaping with high nicotine levels for long duration per session may cause dizziness and nausea, and thus, low-nicotine e-juices should be opted.
Explore our blog and ecommerce sections here at Vape HQ for additional vaping tips for beginners and advanced vapers alike.